First of all, I want to personally welcome you to Relational Family Therapy! My name is Tarah Glover and I am a licensed therapist living and practicing in New Braunfels, Texas. At Relational Family Therapy, my main goal is to create confidence in parenting, playful interactions with children, communication and connection between couples, and positive engagement within families.
Focus of Therapy
Since I provide counseling to children, couples, and families within a relational framework, I understand that people face problems in the context of relationships with others. Furthermore, our lives and overall happiness can be affected by outside influences.
I have been working with children and families since 2010, and found success in working with children through play therapy. Play therapy allows children to express their feelings through play and toys instead of words.
Children begin play therapy for a variety of issues, including:
- behavior concerns
- impulse control
- expression of feelings
- school challenges
- peer and sibling relationship
- coping skills
- grief and loss
In my opinion, effective therapy for children requires a collective effort between the therapist and child’s family. For that reason, this will include meeting the parent to provide suggestions for parenting and creating goals for successful outcomes.
Parent-Child Interaction Therapy
Parent-child interaction therapy is an evidence based treatment for young children with emotional and behavioral disorders. Furthermore, parent-child interaction therapy places an emphasis on improving the quality of the parent-child relationship through play. For that reason, by increasing your confidence in parenting, I am able to help parents grow closer to their children.
When working with couples, I integrate Gottman Method Couples Therapy with the goal to increase intimacy, respect, and affection. Specifically, some relationship issues that may be addressed in therapy include:
- frequent conflict and arguments
- poor communication
- emotionally distanced couples
- specific problems such as sexual difficulties, infidelity, money, and parenting
Gottman Method Couples Therapy integrates research-based interventions based on the Sound Relationship House Theory. What is the Sound Relationship House?
- First, how well do you know your partner’s inner world?
- Second, how much affection and respect occurs within the relationship?
- Third, what do the small moments of everyday life look like?
- Lastly, understanding that relationship conflict is natural and has functional, positive aspects.
- For this reason, I work with couples to build a strong and lasting relationship with each other based on open communication, a sense of understanding, trust, and love.
How to Begin Counseling
My hope at Relational Family Therapy is to provide you with the knowledge and confidence as an individual, parent, partner, or family member. If you, or someone you know, is considering therapy in the New Braunfels area, contact Tarah to discuss how your needs can be met at Relational Family Therapy!